Sunday, October 6, 2013

31 Days of Writing: Day Six “Open Letter”

Write an open letter to anyone.
Dear Cute Couples,

I’m happy for you, I really am. You guys are in the beginnings and middles of your stories together, and it’s so cool to watch how God orchestrates things.

My story with someone hasn’t begun yet. Most of the time I’m ok with that. I’d rather be single than in relationship with someone who is not my someone. But some days, like today when you Cute Couples sit in church around me on every side, it’s hard not to wish for my someone to show up… like, yesterday.

However, you Cute Couples remind me that there are things worth waiting for. You remind me that when relationships start at the right time, in the right way, with the right person, there really is a holiness and wonder in being an us. And that makes me excited, both to wait for and to meet someone. So I guess what I’m trying to say is this: thanks for being a Cute Couple.

Bek

**linking up with Victoria. Join us here!**


***Update 10-7-13: it was brought to my attention that this is a potentially awkward topic {gee, Bek, why didn't you think of that? Because it was 11:30pm when I wrote this...sigh} and that some people might react in ways that I did not intend.

My heart in this open letter is to let you know that sometimes it's hard to be single when you're seemingly surrounded by Cute Couples. I think almost everyone would agree with me that at some point in their single life, they sighed and threw up their hands and said "woe is me!" I raised my hand just now. But I don't want to stay in the "woe is me" stage, and the Cute Couples around me help build my anticipation for my someone as much as they frustrate my singleness.

The point of this letter is this: right now I'm a unicycle in a bicycle world, and I'm doing fine. Cute Couples, please don't feel weird or conspicuous around me. I love you dearly, and I'm happy to be a part of your story. Single friends, let's not mope around in our unicycle season. Being a unicycle is fun and challenging, but so is being a bicycle. Let's enjoy the season we're in and not try to take over the bike shop.

2 comments: