Monday, September 26, 2011

I know this is random…

… but I totally woke up thinking about this, and I wonder what all my dear readers think.

So. You’re a Christian gal. He’s a Christian guy. You like each other. You’re not married yet. But you get pregnant. Oops.

How many young Christians who sin and conceive automatically think about getting married to “redeem” the situation? I’m honestly curious, and first of all may I say I’m glad that abortion is not chosen! But I’m not sure that a quick marriage is the best solution all the time.

I’ll be honest, I have friends who have done this. I’m not sure what the long-term results are going to be, but I’m definitely glad that the child is alive! I’m glad that the families of the parents are still involved with the couple, and I’m glad that so far things are working out for them.

But is marrying the person you slept with always the best decision? I’m not convinced that it is. I think that marriage is something that should be considered long and hard, and that definitely more than 9 months should be spend praying about it and preparing for it.

I’m not a fan of the automatic marriage that can follow a Christian out-of-wedlock conception. The emphasis is on the word automatic, because if this really is the person God has for you, then prepare to be joined to him or her for the rest of your life! But my hesitation is that he or she is not the person God has for you, but the wedding happens anyway. Do you see what I’m getting at, readers? I don’t believe that something can be redeemed by marriage… I think that God can redeem situations and people, and that if marriage is in His plans, that’s great, but I hope someone doesn't get married just because they’re pregnant. Does that make any sense? Comments please?

1 comment:

  1. That is very interesting. I feel myself definitely "leaning" towards agreeing with you... but i'll have to give this more thought and look at it scripturally.

    ReplyDelete