Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Not Alone Series: Modesty

It's Tuesday, which means Not Alone Series time! Linking up with Jen at Jumping in Puddles and Morgan at Follow and Believe.


Continuing our reflections about our make-up routines, let's chat about modesty! What does modesty mean to you? Does it just involve the clothes you wear and how you wear them? What about the things you say or do? In what ways can we improve our overall modesty?

Put on then, as God's chosen ones, 
holy and beloved, compassionate hearts,
 kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, 
bearing with one another and, 
if one has a complaint against another,
 forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you,
 so you also must forgive.
 And above all these put on love,
 which binds everything together in perfect harmony.
 And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts,
 to which indeed you were called in one body.
 And be thankful.
Colossians 3:12-15
~
Clothe yourselves, all of you,
 with humility toward one another,
for “God opposes the proud 
but gives grace to the humble.”
1 Peter 5:5

Let's start with clothes. Clothing is important. I'm a big fan of clothes! When I think of dressing modestly, I think of honor and respect. Am I honoring God, myself, my family, the place I'm going, with my clothing? When I wear business-casual clothes to the office, I'm showing respect to my employers and my work. When I wear a little bit dressier of clothes to church, I'm honoring God with the effort. 

What about our attitudes? The above Scripture verses refer to several character qualities with which we should "clothe" ourselves. Modesty can be emulating these characteristics and pointing others to Christ with our words and actions. 

Obviously this is a very, very shallow look at an extremely complex issue, but hopefully we're are starting conversations. Thanks for hosting, Jen and Morgan, and see you next week!

2 comments:

  1. My modest conversion started with what I wear to church. I was getting ready for church one day when I was in college, and I was relieved that I didn't have to dress up like I did for work because I was "only" going to church. That was the wrong attitude, and I fixed it that very day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it convicting to have that thought and realize what it says about our attitudes towards church?! I used to resent my parents for making me dress nicely on Sundays, but now I'm grateful for the practice. Thanks for stopping by, Lindsay!

    ReplyDelete