Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Not Alone Series: Selfies

Linking up with the magnificent Jen from Jumping in Puddles and Morgan from Follow and Believe - welcome back to the Not Alone Series!


Do you support the selfie trend? Do you think it promotes self-absorption, vanity, and narcissism? Is there a way to incorporate selfies into the Church's teachings of modesty, authentic beauty, humility? {Thanks to Hannah for this week's prompt!}

The short answer? No, I don't "support" selfies, as in I don't take them. I don't usually share pictures of just myself, or if I do, it's usually over text to a couple friends for a specific reason {new haircut, debating an outfit, etc.}. Pictures of just me by me seems a bit too focused on me.

However, I am a fan of the "group selfie" because I think when years have gone by, we will want to remember not the outfit we wore but the people we were with at a specific time. I want to get better at taking pictures with my friends, because I want to remember the fun times we are having together. This is one of my favorite pictures of my besties, and this is another great one. They are "selfies" in that we took these pictures of ourselves, but our selves aren't the focus; we are the focus, and that's the focus I love.

4 comments:

  1. Ditto on this. I don't take random pictures of myself, but what are you supposed to do when there's no one around to take a picture of your group? I like how you said that brings the focus away from the self-centered selfie concept and into the "let's remember this time together" idea. Love, love, love having those memories captured!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Laura! I'm with you - I take group "selfies" in that we take a picture of ourselves, but it's because we want to remember us in this moment. And even then, the focus is "let's take a picture really quick and then we can get back to the fun thing we'll want to remember!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've thought about taking more pictures of group moments like you mentioned. I decided that I'm just not that girl, though. I'm not Photo Girl. I'm Memory Girl. I just try to soak up experiences and let the photos come as they may.

    Two friends of mine married each other a few years ago, and one of the photos with me in it from their reception is so fantastic. I have a super awkward sweat spot from dancing, and I'm making a weird face because I think I was singing along, too. But I love the color of my dress, and I'm in mid-air because we were jumping, and I'm having so much fun with the girl dancing/jumping next to me. So it's a good photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm definitely more the memory girl than the photo girl! I let my friends take pictures and then I say, send them to me later! :)


    That's cool about your friends and the pic with you! Gotta make those memories somehow! :)

    ReplyDelete