Monday, January 12, 2015

2015: Reading Goals

As I shared in my goals post, I am going to attempt to read 50 books this year. Eee!


I have a few specific challenges for myself, like finishing Birth Art's book list and reading a few books by Malcolm Gladwell and Jim Collins. But then I thought, why stop there? Go big or go home, right?

So I'm participating in a reading challenge from Modern Mrs. Darcy. It's a fun addition to spice up my reading list, and I'll be adding it within my goal of 50 books. 12 books in 12 months, so each month I'll be sharing my thoughts on a book from one of these categories. Hold me accountable, readers - ask me for updates!

Modern Mrs. Darcy's 2015 Reading Challenge {with my plans in parentheses}:
  • a book you've been meaning to read {Yes Please by Amy Poehler}
  • a book published this year {Golden Son by Pierce Brown}
  • a book in a genre you don't usually read
  • a book from your childhood {The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank - I tried to read this as a pre-teen but didn't finish}
  • a book your mom loves
  • a book that was originally written in a different language {The Three Musketeers by Alexander Dumas - gulp!}
  • a book "everyone" has read but you {The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath}
  • a book you chose because of the cover
  • a book by a favorite author {waiting for Sarah Bessey's second book!}
  • a book recommended by someone with great taste
  • a book you should have read in high school {I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou}
  • a book that's currently on the bestseller list
What do you think, readers? Share your thoughts and recommendations in the comments!

11 comments:

  1. Natalie, my tricks are audio books and reading more than one {ok, more than 2} books at a time. It feels weird to NOT be reading at least two books! :)
    You gotta help me keep up with the monthly posts, though - nag me! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I maybe finished half a dozen books last year, so I'm going to try and up my game this year. Right now I'm reading "a book everyone has read but you," The Giver. We'll see where I go from there! If you want to read a memoir-type book this year, I own "Pastrix" by Nadia Bolz-Weber (a friend of our favorite, Sarah Bessey) that I can send to you if you want to borrow it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you doing this challenge? 12 books isn't awful, right?
    Oh, The Giver... it's my friend's favorite book and I read it when I was 19 and didn't love it... Now I think I would appreciate it more.
    Oooh! Pastrix... sounds intriguing! Thank you for your offer! I will let you know :) And we should have a discussion as soon as we're both done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just signed up! I hadn't thought about it until you mentioned it. Yay. :) We'll see how I like The Giver. My housemate loves it so I hope I do although dystopian novels are not my favorite. And yes! Just let me know, a discussion would be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's a sign-up? Oops, totally missed that! :-p
    I hope you like it at least... there were some good points, I thought, but it wasn't as incredible as I expected via my friend. But then several years later I learned that it's the beginning of a series, so that maybe contributed to my initial confusion?
    Ok! I'm adding it to my to-read list right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Giver. I ❤️ it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you enjoyed it! Did you read the rest of the series?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've read the second so far. But it is totally different characters and story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah. Aren't there like 5 books in the whole series? I think it'd be interesting if they came back full circle to the original characters!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was woefully lacking in my reading in 2014, but what do you really expect with a new kiddo? This year I've already read 12 books... I flew through the Sookie Stackhouse series (True Blood). They were pretty much mindless reads and it was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. New kids are not exactly conducive to reading, right? :) Glad you've got some good reads done this year already!

    ReplyDelete