Monday, August 30, 2010

Catch Up, Continued

Continuing from where I left off…

Sunday, Mom and Dad and I got up and went to church. The directions we got from the church website took us to the Baptist church- not exactly what we were looking for! So Dad called the pastor, and got updated directions, and we were there in no time. We walked into the building with the pastor, and I saw immediately a girl from another MC that I knew, and so we started talking, and then her mom came over and talked with my parents, and then the pastor’s daughter that I “met” on Facebook came over, and then all of a sudden church was starting. We worshipped, and then the pastor introduced us, and told the congregation that they were my new church family!

After church, my friend’s mom and my mom were talking, and I was informed that I could go over to their home any time, any weekend; I was more than welcome! It was very encouraging to have all this excitement and support, and I began to feel not as lost as I had been.

My parents and I went out to lunch with the pastor and his wife, their daughter, her husband and three kids, and my friend and her sister. Afterwards, my parents drove me back to campus, and on the way, they said that they were very happy with this church and the pastor and the families. They told me that they felt confident leaving me here with this church body, and that they knew I would be well taken care of. That gave me a sense of peace like none other!

Now here comes the sad part: I had to get out of the car and go back to my dorm room, and my parents had to drive to the airport and fly home. I can barely think of that moment without tears coming, because it’s so fresh and tender, but I will do my best. There were tears all around, and both my parents told me that I was going to succeed here, and that this is God, and that they are proud of me, and they love me very, very much. I could barely stand to walk down the long sidewalk to my residence hall, because I knew that I wouldn’t see them for at least 3 months, probably 4. I think I turned and waved 3 or 4 times before the rental car was out of sight and I reached the door.

I walked inside, and my Hall Coordinator asked me if I was ok. I could barely speak without tears, but I managed “I just said goodbye to my parents.” She came over and gave me a hug, and I smiled and nodded and walked up two flights of stairs to my room. I was alone, and I put my head on my new comforter and cried out loud. Then I tried to unpack my backpack, and then after I put one thing away, I would cry some more, and then I’d put a couple more things away, and then I’d cry some more. This lasted about 20 minutes, and then I had to go downstairs and do some orientation stuff.

That evening, I had been planning a “homesick party” so I got out my Bible and journal and letters from two dear friends, and I wrote in my journal and read the Word and the letters, and I cried a little, and then I went to bed. After that, I was fine! I don’t think I cried the rest of the week! I think I got too distracted by new friends and finding locations and getting lost and laughing to remember to miss my family, which is fine by me!

Wednesday was Labor Orientation, where we got trained in our jobs. In the morning we had general sessions about how labor is an integral part of our education, and then we went to 3 different workshops on different topics. For lunch, we dined with our supervisor, and then we went to 2 sessions that our boss chose. I’m working on the budget for a specific department, which is nice because it’s a little different, but at the same time it’s challenging because I am NOT an accounting major! But we’ll see how God uses this.

Thursday was the first day of classes, and they went pretty well! I have 3 classes that are T/Th, and then one that is M/W/F. My PE class is Monday nights. Last week was a great week for classes- just 2 days! I think I’m going to enjoy all the classes; the challenge will be to juggle everything. But I do appreciate having a day to do homework, since all my classes are every other day. I work on M/W/F, for a total of 10 hours a week, which is required.

On Saturday, I slept in, and then did homework while hanging with friends. We actually went to the gym, and since I can read on the elliptical machine, I did! I finished my marketing chapter while working up a sweat! My friends thought I was crazy, reading and walking/climbing stairs, but I love that I can be active and still get work done. I feel doubly productive!

Saturday evening, I went to my new family’s home. They had another one of my friends over, and he totally surprised me by being there! Our joke is that he’s stalking me, so it was quite humorous that he was there! We all talked and hung out and started to watch Emma and drank margaritas. We went to bed around midnight, because the friend that was visiting had to drive an hour and a half to get home.

The family I stayed with has a Sunday morning tradition of dad making breakfast and everyone eats together before church. That was really fun! And then church was exciting- the fire alarms kept going off! So part of church was outside in the shade of a giant tree, and I got to hold the pastor’s granddaughter, who is just starting to crawl. I tried holding her in my seat, but it was not successful, so I moved to the side of the sanctuary and sat on the floor so she could roll and rock and push herself up without falling off the chair.

At home, my new family had another family over for lunch, and so there were a LOT of people at the table, and a lot of kids in the kitchen! My friend drove me back to campus, and I finished the small amount of reading I had to do, and then talked on the phone with a couple different friends, and then Mom.

Oh, it killed me to say goodbye to Mom, and I called her back at 11:30pm! I had tried to go to bed, but I couldn't stop crying, so I called Mom back and talked to her for another 30 minutes. Before I called her, though, I prayed and wrote in my journal and heard the Lord reassure me of His perfect timing and placement. I felt much better after hearing God and hearing Mom, and I fell asleep almost instantly.

Today was sort of lazy, sort of crazy. My first class on Mondays isn't until after lunch, so I got to laze around a bit, then go to class, work, dinner, and PE. It was a little stressful getting from work to dinner to PE, because the dining hall and the gym are on opposite sides of the campus {intentionally, I think!} and so I was worried about being late to class. But I actually had plenty of time to eat and get over there, and I was even early!

Since I have an 8am class tomorrow, I’m going to bed now. I hope you all enjoy this update, and I will try to keep you up to date of my thoughts and classes and interesting things that happen at college. Goodnight!

1 comment:

  1. You are so sweet. I know I don't know you really well, but I just had to comment because your post causes me to reminisce. At age 20, I flew off to India for a 2 yr term with YWAM... I cried off and on the whole flight. When I called my parents from Singapore, I could barely talk through the sobbing At age 23, my parents took me to Montana for a 1 year school with YWAM. I stood on the sidewalk and watched them drive away, then ran to room and cried buckets. At age 25, I moved in with the Rankins for MCs and cried in Kim's arms the first day after class orientation. At age 29, I got married... and that wasn't so bad. :) Every new season causes us to press in to the Lord. The emotions you are going thru are so normal and evidence of the deep relationships you have. The Lord has an abundance of grace for you. You're doing great!