Tuesday, October 20, 2009

I don't want to be apathetic

Readers, I'm sure you remember a recent post about apathy. Last time, it was in the context of World War Two and the politicians who signed their own death warrants through apathy.

Today, I want to tell you about a recent encounter with apathy that I had. It was the first week of classes, and the teacher was introducing himself and explaining how he grades and what he looks for and how we can get an A in the class. He paused and said "Hey, all you students who have to get an A in every class...don't worry about it. Settle for a B, will ya?" And the class chuckled and the teacher moved on. I thought to myself, how awful!? The teacher is telling us to NOT give all our effort, to NOT try, to NOT be hard on ourselves and strive for the best grade we can earn. Why would he tell us that!?

I have disregarded his advice. Now, that is NOT to say that I'm going to jump off a cliff to my sudden, instant death if I earn an A- or even a B+, but it does mean that I am going to work with an A mentality. As my high school adviser and mentor told me, "What level do you want to play at [in life]? THAT is the level that you have to train at." So if I want to "play" in a world-renowned school of business, I better be training at the top as I prepare to go there! Don't let apathy rob you of potential. Or rather, don't give away your potential to apathy.

No comments:

Post a Comment