Monday, August 31, 2009

Thoughts

Good morning, my dear readers! I have promised to attempt to write more often, so I think 2 posts in one day is fulfilling that promise! What to write, what to write?

Something that has been on my heart recently is World War II and how no one wanted to become involved with stopping Hitler, and how can we prevent that from happening again, in our present time? One of my favorite history teachers spent many weeks on just this subject, and through his lectures and other readings that I did during this class, I have become convinced that the policy of appeasement is to blame. I say policy, but policy is nothing without men and women to enforce it. Look at the treaty they made with Germany at the end of World War I!

It was a great policy, but no one enforced it because they were acting under a different policy: peace at any price. Because Britain and France and the U.S. all wanted peace, because they did not see how the slaughtering of millions of people affected their respective countries, Hitler literally got away with murder.

Readers, I will not attempt to apply that to your life; I know that it will fall short. But I hope that you see that peace at any cost will not result in peace. Abraham Kuyper said it beautifully, "When the principles that run against your deepest conviction begin to win the day, then the battle is your calling, and peace has become sin. You must at the price of dearest peace lay your convictions bare before friend and enemy with all the fire of your faith." [italics mine] Beloved readers, I hope that this has struck some chord in you, and I hope that the strike goes deep and resounds whenever you face a choice between peace and your convictions.

No comments:

Post a Comment