Thursday, June 11, 2015

June Sunshine

The first official day of summer is in less than two weeks, but after last Sunday's sunshine + heat wave, I think summer's already here :) So to keep things light and breezy, here are some "currently" updates.

Currently...

...reading: Searching for Sunday by Rachel Held Evans. If you're like me and think that the Church is lacking, to put it mildly, read this book. RHE articulates the questions and concerns that I didn't realize I have, and she does so gracefully and succinctly. I'm about halfway done with my library copy, and I think that I'll be purchasing my own copy very soon. More eloquent reviews can be found here and here.

...watching: Season 5 of "Gilmore Girls." My sis and I are usually able to watch one episode most nights, and oh my word, pack me up and move me to Stars Hollow.


...listening to: Florence and the Machine's new album "How Big How Blue How Beautiful." This. Album. I play it all day {or most of the day, for my co-workers' sakes} in the office, it's in my car, and then I turn it on as soon as I get home. It's beautiful and perfect and I can't get enough. "Queen of Peace" and "St Jude" are two of my favorite tracks {check out this beautiful music video, too!}.




...anticipating: a reunion dinner with Samara and Cami next week! Woohoo! It's been FAR too long since the three of us have been together.

...working on: smaller reading assignments for doula certification. Last night I plopped myself and some yarn on the couch and listened to every last "lecture" that is required; it felt so good to cross half a dozen assignments off my list! I celebrated by watching a couple {required} birth videos... why yes, I do know how to have a good time ;)

...craving: time outside in the sun, flip-flops, hair long enough to stay in a messy bun, and VitaminWater.

...supporting: this Kickstarter campaign with Ricki Lake and Abby Eppstein {creators of "The Business of Being Born"} to make "Sweetening the Pill: How We Got Hooked On Hormonal Birth Control." Read an interview with the filmmakers, watch the trailer, and consider supporting this project!

...grateful for: sunshine during my commute, dinner with my CareNet friend and her family, chai lattes, new friends, and the beginning of what's promising to be an amazing summer.

6 comments:

  1. Yay! Loving the summer update! That's exciting about getting closer to being done with doula stuff, and I appreciate the sunshine too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks, Laura - glad you like it :) I always feel weird doing these, but they're so fun!
    I should send you my list of assignments for doula-ing... so many things are crossed off! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. The new Ricki Lake documentary looks awesome! I have huge issues with how freely hormonal birth control options are given from a health standpoint regardless of how I feel about it religiously/emotionally. I need to send you an article I recently read about the pill, I'm not sure if i saved it but I'll track it down :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited for it! Praying it gets fully funded! Yes, please, if you find that article, I'd love to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found it! http://www.theblaze.com/contributions/birth-control-pills-men-get-free-sex-women-get-cancer/

    ReplyDelete